We know, that as teachers, and school & district leaders, you are feeling the pressure to help students achieve literacy success. We know that you put your heart into your work and feel both frustrated and worried when students don’t progress as you believe they should. We understand!
We know that you want to lead and teach in a vibrant, thriving literacy community that empowers students to become critical thinkers, lovers of literature, and capable, curious learners.
We have worked with educational organizations, from the district to the school and classroom level, to develop comprehensive plans for highly impactful literacy instruction and rich cultures of literacy.
Our team of exceptional educators can support you at any stage of your literacy journey!
How We Support
- Establishment of literacy supports and structures to address learning gaps for students.
- Establishment of literacy communities of practice for teachers and/or leaders across a school or system, customized to fit context and existing supports.
- Development of school or system-wide literacy data collection and analysis processes
- Development of asynchronous online courses and resources to support literacy.
- Engagement in regular onsite or online literacy coaching visits with opportunities for reflection, feedback and ongoing support.
- Analysis of current literacy resources and practices, with recommendations for enhancements.
- Facilitation of professional learning to support growth in literacy for teachers, leaders and support staff, in areas such as:
- Effective reading and writing practices
- School-wide assessment and intervention structures
- School and district literacy frameworks
- Supporting leaders when supervising effective literacy instruction
- Developing school or system-wide cultures of literacy, including beliefs and literacy-rich learning environments.
I wanted to reach out and express my true appreciation for all the support Cheryl Gascoyne has given me since August. Cheryl has provided me with opportunities to expand my skill set and offer the best version of my professional self to each group of students I encounter. Cheryl has built literacy confidence within me that I have not had before. Cheryl have impacted me and my career in ways I cannot explain. I will continue to share Cheryl's expertise with colleagues and hope that in the future our paths will cross again and we get the chance to collaborate further.
Kathleen Robertson was, by far, one of the best prepared presenters I have ever had the opportunity to see. Kathleen really took into account what would help us, the attendees, incorporate the information, techniques and knowledge she was sharing with us into our daily practice, and provided the supplies to help us do that. Kathleen's knowledge and eagerness to share ways to help teach struggling readers really shone through. I would highly recommend having Kathleen as a presenter again. Well worth the time and money.
2020 Northern Alberta Educational Assistants Conference
I had the opportunity to work with Cheryl Gascoyne for the 2018-2019 school year. During this school year, Clearview School Division was continuing its work on a massive transformation of literacy practices. Through Jigsaw Learning, we were able to access Cheryl's expertise to help us with our plan. Cheryl was an instrumental player in our journey as we worked on moving literacy forward in our division. Using our year plan, Cheryl's expertise was a welcome addition to our transformation. Cheryl was an excellent well-planned presenter as she worked in large group grade-level learning sessions. While on school visits, Cheryl met with small groups as well as individuals who were striving to become effective, best practice teachers of literacy. Cheryl is a learner who continually seeks to stay abreast of the current research and then share her knowledge with others. Cheryl is also fun and engaging! It was a pleasure to spend this time with Cheryl. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to learn fr... Read more
Cheryl Gascoyne was instrumental in supporting our school with literacy growth and development. Her work with our staff has had a dramatically positive impact on how we support literacy development for our students. Cheryl worked elbow to elbow with our staff to improve our reading intervention strategies. She also helped us engage in a literacy partnership with the local university and she supported our work in finding appropriate literacy resources for our school. Cheryl worked alongside the administrative team to develop a comprehensive school wide literacy plan. She was visible in the school, she worked alongside teachers and she regularly connected with the leadership team to determine next steps. Cheryl is an expert in the field of literacy and she took the time to really look at our strengths and areas for improvement. She helped us create a vision of literacy and we are forever grateful for her support. Cheryl changed how we support, implement and assess literacy in our school and the staff and stu... Read more
Kathleen Robertson is a fabulous collaborative team member and excellent literacy and learning coach. Kathleen’s extensive background in literacy and numeracy has made her such an asset to our school. She is supportive, approachable, and understanding in every role.